Pageviews

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Samsung Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8 Impressions

A couple weeks ago I wrote my initial review on the Samsung Galaxy S5, the LG G3 (based on rumors), and the HTC One M8. Now the LG G3 isn't out yet, but I have gotten a chance to look at and play around with the S5 and M8 a little. And despite the outperforming by the S5, the M8 is by far my favorite because of its feel and its software version.

The back of the S5 and the little divots on the back is much better than I expected it to be. When handling one last night it was actually a nice feeling on the back of my hand. The screen was very well done like all Samsung phones, and the buttons are easy-to-use in the traditional layout. The software is where I have problems, and where I always have. Going off of the stock version of the S5 without keyboard apps or messaging clients, I am not a fan of their latest Android tweak. Like the previous S products, it feels like a software that is just too simple for such a powerful phone. The layout is wide, the page-turning speed is slow, and the keyboard has an incredibly basic look to it.

Comparing this to the M8 wins for me hands down. While I'm told hardware-wise this phone doesn't quite stack up to the S5, I would buy the M8 in an instant over the S5. The appearance materials of the M8 are much better. I am a huge fan of the aluminum because it aes it feel like it is a solid phone. The plastic on the S5 feels cheap and belittles the strength of the phone. I love the layout of the software on the M8, because HTC didn't relly butcher their software tweak like Samsung did, it still feels very crisp and fast looking at only the stock software you get on the phone.

Overall from my first impressions, I love the M8, definitely much more than the S5, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. The M8 is a solid device that I feel has the most functional operating system of the newest phones right now. Without a doubt in my mind the HTC One M8 is a much better phone than the Samsung Galaxy S5 because of its feel and its stock software.

No comments:

Post a Comment